Here’s a list of the nuggets of wisdom I’ve been dispensing on social media platforms for the past two weeks, in no particular order:
- A galaxy is composed of gas and dust and billions upon billions of stars. Don’t retread old ground; explore something new.
- Never let your player characters get comfortable. Always be on the lookout for new challenges and twists.
- Don’t get comfortable. Push your limits & step out of your comfort zone. Do the unexpected, even if you’re not good very at it.
- Think about how Obligation, Motivation, and Duty can be integrated into every adventure.
- Before the first adventure in a campaign, have a general idea of how the campaign will end. Take control, don’t just wander about.
- Be careful about getting too nitty gritty with combat. This isn’t a tactical game. Sometimes, a single die roll is fine.
- Don’t worry about “game balance”. The players will scale their actions and risk they’re willing to take to suit your narrative.
- Don’t hate the PC’s, but understand that you work for people who do. Give them difficult challenges.
- If success on a skill check is required to move the story forward, don’t roll dice.
- If you can’t muster the same passion for gaming anymore, take a break. Sporadic, great sessions are better than constant crap.